We all love Dubai but with the advent of June, we need to brace ourselves for the summer heat. While those who can afford to go away to cooler places will definitely do so, if you need to stay in Dubai during the summer for work or due to budget constraints or simply because you love being in Dubai, here are a few ways to beat the heat:
1. Wear Light clothes: Wear light colored clothes made from natural fibers like cotton to help you stay cool. While synthetic fibers and wool trap heat and make you feel even warmer, linen and cotton clothes absorb perspiration and the evaporation of this sweat cools you down. The light colors reflect the rays from the sun to a greater extent.
2. Save Exercise for Cooler Times: The Spanish are famous for their siestas and with good reason. have a good idea when it comes to taking siestas in the afternoon. Slow don and avoid any vigorous activities as these will stimulate your body and raise your core temperature. Focus on exercise during the cooler parts of the day, say early morning or late evening.
3. Have Smaller Meals: Having larger meals generates more metabolic heat. So, it would be a good idea to have smaller, lighter meals. Foods high in protein generate metabolic heat, so have these foods during early morning or in the late evening.
4. Keep Your Curtains Drawn: When you are out of the house, keep your curtains drawn and the blinds closed to minimize the entry of heat into the house.
5. Use Feather or Down Pillows: Instead of synthetic pillows, use feather or down pillows having cotton covers. Synthetic pillows retain heat.
6. Bring on the Colors: Summer is a good time to stray from the standard, tried and tested black, blue and gray in your wardrobe. Do not be afraid to try out new summery shades like mint green , caramel brown and watermelon pink to add a touch of color and help you stay cool.
7. Protect your skin with sunscreen: Make sure that you use sunscreen and plenty of it to protect your face and the exposed parts of your skin whenever you venture out in the summer heat. You can also choose to use a body lotion which also has sunscreen abut ensure that the SPF is 30 to beat the heat.
8. Switch your scent: You need to change your fragrance as the seasons change. If you normally use a woody, heavy scent, it is time to ditch that for the season. Citrusy scents are best for the summer.
9. Change your Shoes: You might feel like wearing formal shoes at all, but if you don’t, you will get strange looks at the office. Wearing flip-flops is out of the questions, but there are plenty of other options that are more comfortable for your feet like leather sandals, low-top sneakers and desert boots.
10. Dab Water: Dab water in pressure points like the wrist, elbows and temples. This will help to cool the whole body down.
Manju Mathew, an MBA in marketing, completed publisher training courses from the Oxford Brookes University and New York University. She started with marketing and PR roles before moving on to her current position as a full time writer. Currently living in Dubai, her life as an expat has sharpened her observation skills and flair for writing. She enjoys writing about luxury cars like Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc even if she can only dream of owning them.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
© 2017 Morjan Media LLC. All Rights Reserved.